Little H Countdown

Friday, September 12, 2008

School and all it's madness has begun...well three weeks ago....

Hmmm...so I'm just now getting caught up again...I'm not too great at this blogging on a regular basis thing. I think it's because I don't have adorable children to share stories about =)...at least I'll use that as my excuse for now!

Here's what going on in the Halvorsen household....

Justin is finally slowing down at work, and only has about one more "bad" week left, then he can start taking some time off! This week he has been in on numerous (and I mean NUMEROUS) interviews as part of the interview committee to add another staff to his dept. This is good because they really need another person, but apparently sitting in on lots and lots of interviews is quite boring since they ask them all exactly the same questions, and most of them give almost exactly the same answer. Today was going to be the worst....straight line up of interviews from 8am-4pm...YIKES! I guess that's one thing I don't have to deal with as a teacher!!! Aside from that, Justin is very thrilled (as am I) that the football season has finally begun! We have two fantasy teams again this year, and we think we should be competitive in both leagues. Some of you may laugh...but honestly, it's fun and I enjoy watching the games so much more if I know one of "our" players is playing. I am totally hooked! Anyhow, keeping up with our teams and watching the games definitely keeps Justin busy on Sundays...which is good since that is when I do LOTS of studying!

My life right consists pretty much of work and studying for my masters classes. It's a little overwhelming trying to prepare for and teach SIX different subjects, but so far I am surviving. Thank goodness I seem to have really, really good students this year, and they are not even beginning to drive me crazy. They (for the most part) do their homework, participate in discussions, and have really awesome questions about all things science related. So, on that front, it should be a good year. I'm also having fun with our pretty much totally new academic bowl team. We have only one returning member, so we're in a bit of a re-building phase, but we still have high hopes for the team. They are all motivated, and really good kids, so it should be fun. I'm not sure if traveling to Wisconsin in Feb. for our tournament will be wonderful, considering it will probably be very, very cold, but at least I'm still a Northern girl at heart and I can totally handle it =). My masters courses are also starting to ramp up and I'm freaking out...just a little. Whenever I look at the calendars and syllabi, I have to take a deep breath and tell myself that I really can accomplish everything on the assignment list...right? Sure, I can! Ha! At least I have the best, most fabulous husband in the world who is EXTREMELY supportive and is even willing to clean the house while I sit and work on projects, research, and reading! He even does with mostly a smile on his face =). Other than that, I don't have much going on, since TSD and my master's program pretty much eat up all of my time.

In other Halvorsen/Long family news....

Justin and Katherine are fully settled (well pretty much) in Dallas! Yay! They were supposed to come visit this weekend, but hurricane Ike put a little wrench in all our plans, so hopefully they'll be able to come in another week or two. It's taken almost five years to get Justin to visit me here in Austin, so I guess I can wait another week or two!

Justin's sister Andrea and her husband Kyle are doing as well as can be expected after bringing the twins home a couple weeks ago. McKayla is still adjusting, but we are all hoping that soon she will love the babies as much as we all do. Right now they are still a little foreign to her, and she doesn't quite understand why they have to cry so much =). We got to visit on Labor Day, and I hope to be back soon for some more baby holding time!

Well, that's all the time I have for this round. I'll try REALLY hard to update this more than once a month...for those of you that kindly read it =). And, I may not have kids to share pictures of...but watch for some new Mozart and Sierra pictures soon. Justin was able to snap a picture the other night of Mozart "hugging" me...which is my favorite part of coming home each day (aside from hugging Justin of course!!!).

1 comment:

Amy said...

I am glad you have a great group of students this year. That makes things a little bit easier. Hang in there with the grad school. I know you Michelle and you will get everything accomplished while earning nothing less than an A I am sure! Glad you posted...I was wondering where you have been! =)